Monday, January 16, 2012

Clutter FREE Me Day 6: Virtual Desktop

Week two, People!!!

I hope everyone had a good weekend and had time to clean the things they maybe didn't have a chance to clean during the week.

For week two, we're going to focus on our workspace. Whether you have an office or work from home, the tips I give you this week are sure to help:)

*Remember: As I said last week, if you have a lot going on break the organization up into 15 minute intervals. It is much easier to find 15 minutes at a time than a whole uninterrupted hour or two. Plus, it may help you get motivated to start the clean instead of thinking of how much you have to do and putting it off another day, or week, or year :-/

Organize your virtual desktop

This means getting all those loose files on your computer desktop into folders. Take time to go through folders and make sure the right documents are in the right place. You may even want to make more specific file folder names, so that you know exactly where a document is when you need it.

Examples of some of the file folders I use on my home computer are:


  • Professional Development-- For documents like my resume', application forms, and essays. Basically anything that I may need to further my education or apply for a job.
  • Family-- For items that I use with my family. Like last year I created a spring cleaning checklist. So I keep it here, so I can find it again the next year.
  • And folders for each organization of which I'm apart.
Folders for work computer:


  • Personal-- For things I need to file outside of work.
  • Logistics--For paperwork that I don't necessarily need everyday, but will need of something happens ex. my parking form, my contract, etc.
  • And a separate folder for each project I'm working on

Once this is done it will be much easier to organize your physical desktop, which I will discuss tomorrow.

I will give great tips tomorrow plus a free printable, so make sure you check in !

On a scale of 1 to 10 how messy is your virtual desktop?
1 = So messy my entire desktop is covered with individual documents
10 = I'm a virtual filing expert!

A Bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment