Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Dr. MLK Day!

I had the pleasure of attending a Dr. MLK celebration at Duke University Chapel on what would have been Dr. (and please don't forget the Dr.) King's 83rd birthday. Donna Brazile, CNN and ABC political commentator, was the keynote speaker and she was amazing!

Donna emphasized how Dr. King was so involved in the process to eliminate the racist voting laws like the grandfather clause, and literacy tests. And because of this and all the people who risked their lives to make sure we had the right to vote, we need to make certain that we vote especially in the upcoming primaries and presidential election.

Ms. Brazile told a fabulous story about a woman who has voted in every election for the past 60 something years until this year when she was confronted with the law that says that in order for an American to vote, they must bring a government issued identification card. To listen how this elder surpassed this obstacle, watch Donna Brazile's keynote speech:

Fast forward to 1:31 to hear Donna Brazile's speech

I also uploaded a video to my youtube page, but it's acting crazy....

ALSO, 2 Duke researchers released a study this past week that stated that black students that attend Duke switch from harder majors to easier majors. And because of this, their GPA's are high. What????!!!!!! Let me just say people were pissed.

But, after the Dr. MLK celebration service the attendees were amazed to find student protestors. It was amazing. I took pics, but I'm having technical difficulties with them!

There were signs that read, "What is an easy major?," "It's not a race issue, so don't make it one," and "GPA doesn't have a color."

It was very powerful, and appropriate to have a silent and respectful protest after the Dr. MLK celebration. I thought my generation and the ones younger than me didn't have the strength nor courage to do go forward this type of action, but those students proved me wrong. I was very proud to see that:)

A Bientot.....



No comments:

Post a Comment